Skip to content

Cardinal Zen meets Pope Francis, prays at Benedict XVI’s tomb

Cardinal Joseph Zen. | Rock Li via Wikimedia (CC BY-SA 3.0).
Cardinal Joseph Zen. | Rock Li via Wikimedia (CC BY-SA 3.0).

The 90-year-old cardinal was in Rome for two days after the Hong Kong authorities temporarily released his passport.

Cardinal Joseph Zen met privately with Pope Francis on Friday after attending Benedict XVI’s funeral.

The Hong Kong authorities temporarily released the passport of the 90-year-old cardinal, who was arrested last year under the city’s national security law, to allow him to travel to Rome.

According to America Magazine, Zen met Pope Francis in the afternoon on Jan. 6, in the Vatican’s Santa Marta guesthouse.

“It was wonderful. He was so very warm!” the Chinese cardinal told America Magazine.

Zen, formerly the Bishop of Hong Kong, arrived in St. Peter’s Square dressed in red vestments and walking with a cane to concelebrate the funeral Mass of Benedict XVI on Jan. 5.

On Jan. 6, the feast of the Epiphany, the cardinal visited the tomb of Benedict XVI in the crypt of St. Peter’s Basilica, before leaving Rome on the morning of Jan. 7, America reported.

“Our beloved Pope Emerito Benedict XVI, please continue to pray for us in heaven,” Zen wrote on Twitter the morning of Jan. 7.

The cardinal also posted photos showing him embracing Benedict XVI’s closed coffin and greeting Pope Francis in front of Michelangelo’s Pietà on the morning of the funeral.

A magistrate ruled on Jan. 3 that the Chinese cardinal would be allowed to leave Hong Kong for five days with his previously confiscated passport temporarily returned to him.

Zen reflected on the legacy of Benedict XVI following the death of the pope emeritus on Dec. 31, 2022.

The cardinal wrote on his blog that Benedict XVI was a “great defender of the truth” who took “extraordinary” actions to support the Church in China, despite many setbacks.

“As a member of the Chinese Church, I am immensely grateful to Pope Benedict for things he has done that he did not do for other Churches,” Zen wrote.

This article was originally published by EWTN News English.

Receive the most important news from EWTN Vatican via WhatsApp. It has become increasingly difficult to see Catholic news on social media. Subscribe to our free channel today

Share

Would you like to receive the latest updates on the Pope and the Vatican

Receive articles and updates from our EWTN Newsletter.

More news related to this article

Vatican announces Pope Leo XIV’s public Mass schedule for August and September

The Office for Liturgical Celebrations at the Vatican has announced Pope Leo XIV’s public Mass schedule for August and September, following his current stay through July 20 at Castel Gandolfo, the summer retreat of the pontiffs.
Journalist Alessandro Banfi greets Pope Leo XIV during a meeting on March 18, 2026. | Credit: Photo courtesy of Alessandro Banfi

The peace proposed by Pope Leo XIV is not a naive hippie ideal, expert says

A new Vatican anthology presents the pontiff’s teaching on peace as rooted in Christ’s cross, Augustinian spirituality, and
St. Philip Neri by Sebastiano Conca (Public Domain), image compiled in Canva by Jacob Stein.

Walking Through Rome With St. Philip Neri: The Apostle of Rome’s Pilgrimage

ROME — Long after the crowds have left the Eternal City’s streets, thousands of pilgrims begin a journey

Catholic Church is in the midst of a growth spurt in Singapore

Catholicism is the fastest-growing religion in Singapore, thriving alongside a strong Buddhist presence and marked by active Church participation in social and liturgical life.

Synod 2023: A Glimpse into the Final Week’s Deliberations

Pathways and Discourse in the Final Week

Jesuit artist Father Rupnik’s ministry restricted following reports of abuse allegations

A prominent Jesuit priest and artist had his ministry restricted, reportedly after an investigation by his religious order

LIVE
FROM THE VATICAN

Be present live on EWTNVatican.com