Skip to content

Cardinal Fernández says judges selected to hear Rupnik sexual abuse trial

Cardinal Victor Manuel Fernández, prefect of the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith, said Thursday that judges have been selected to hear the trial of Father Marko Rupnik, a former Jesuit accused of sexual abuse against women.

Cardinal Victor Manuel Fernández, prefect of the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith, said Thursday that judges have been selected to hear the trial of Father Marko Rupnik, a former Jesuit accused of sexual abuse against women.

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER HERE

The cardinal told journalists that the judges chosen are “independent and external” to the dicastery but did not indicate when the Slovenian priest’s trial is set to take place in the Vatican.

“The idea was, if possible, to eliminate the idea that the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith or the Holy See had any interest or were subjected to pressure,” he said.

Rupnik, whose religious artworks can be found in shrines and churches around the world, has been accused by at least a dozen women, mostly former nuns, of sexual, psychological, and spiritual abuse that reportedly occurred over the past three decades.

In May 2019, the then-Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith launched a criminal administrative process against Rupnik after the Society of Jesus reported credible complaints of abuse by the priest to the Vatican.

One year later, the congregation declared Rupnik to be in a state of “latae sententiae” excommunication in May 2020. His excommunication lasted only two weeks.

The Society of Jesus subsequently expelled Rupnik from the religious congregation in June 2023 for his “stubborn refusal to observe the vow of obedience.”

Since allegations of abuse against Rupnik first became public in 2018, several Church leaders and Catholic groups around the world have increasingly called for the removal of sacred art created by the former Jesuit.

On March 31, the Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes in France announced its decision to cover Rupnik mosaics found at the entrances to the Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary.   

The Dicastery for Communication, meanwhile, removed digital images of Rupnik’s art from its Vatican News website on June 9. 

The changes came days after Pope Leo met with members of the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors on June 5.

The Holy Father also met with Cardinal Seán O’Malley, president of the Vatican body commissioned with safeguarding vulnerable adults and children, within the first week of his pontificate on May 14.

In June 2024, O’Malley sent a letter to the dicasteries of the Roman Curia expressing hope that “pastoral prudence would prevent displaying artwork in a way that could imply either exoneration or a subtle defense” of those accused of abuse.

“We must avoid sending a message that the Holy See is oblivious to the psychological distress that so many are suffering,” O’Malley wrote in a letter to Curia leaders last year.

This article was originally published by CNA.

Receive the most important news from EWTN Vatican via WhatsApp. It has become increasingly difficult to see Catholic news on social media. Subscribe to our free channel today

Share

Would you like to receive the latest updates on the Pope and the Vatican

Receive articles and updates from our EWTN Newsletter.

More news related to this article

Pope Francis’ praise for St. Catherine of Siena

On the feast of St. Catherine of Siena in 2021, Pope Francis expressed his hope that the “great female figure of faith” would continue to inspire a more joyful and fervent witness.

As He Turns 88, 8 + 8 Interesting Things About Pope Francis

Did you know? Pope Francis Edition: On the occasion of his 88th birthday, these and other interesting facts about Pope Francis.

Cuba’s bishops headed to Vatican this month to meet with Pope Leo XIV

The country’s bishops will travel to Rome from Feb. 16–20 to present to Pope Leo XIV “the vicissitudes,

Pope Francis Reminds that the Church “Is in the World but Not of the World”

Pope Francis met with priests from the Secular Institute of Missionary Priests of the Kingship of Christ, reminding them that the Church, similar to the baptized, is "in the world, for the world, but not of the world."

Pope Francis Makes Surprise Visit To Regina Coeli Prison On Holy Thursday

Despite ongoing health concerns, Pope Francis made a surprise Holy Thursday visit to Rome’s Regina Coeli prison, continuing his Triduum tradition with prisoners while recovering from pneumonia.

Pope at Angelus: By loving others, ‘we reflect the Father’s love like mirrors’

During his Sunday Angelus message, Pope Francis expressed that the love of God and the love of neighbor are inextricably bound together.

LIVE
FROM THE VATICAN

Be present live on EWTNVatican.com