Skip to content

Cardinal Zen hospitalized in Hong Kong after returning from Benedict XVI’s funeral

Cardinal Joseph Zen, former bishop of Hong Hong, attends the funeral Mass for Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI on Jan. 5, 2023, in St. Peter's Square. | Credit: Diane Montagna
Cardinal Joseph Zen, former bishop of Hong Hong, attends the funeral Mass for Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI on Jan. 5, 2023, in St. Peter's Square. | Credit: Diane Montagna

The 91-year-old cardinal wrote on his blog on Jan. 31 that he is receiving treatment in the hospital after experiencing difficulty breathing.

Cardinal Joseph Zen has been hospitalized in Hong Kong after his health deteriorated upon returning from Benedict XVI’s funeral in Rome.

The 91-year-old cardinal wrote on his blog on Jan. 31 that he is receiving treatment in the hospital after experiencing difficulty breathing.

Zen said that the doctors have already conducted many examinations and ruled out that he does not have a bacterial infection in his lungs as he experienced in 2016 when he was hospitalized for three weeks.

“You have not heard from me as I have been staying in the hospital. Please rest assured, Hong Kong’s most senior doctors are taking care of me,” he wrote.

The former bishop of Hong Kong revealed that he had already been experiencing some health difficulties before he received permission from a Hong Kong court to travel to Rome for the Jan. 5 funeral of Benedict XVI.

Despite having inflammation in his shoulders, an aching back, and numbness in his hands, Zen said that he felt that he “could not give up the opportunity” to be present at the funeral.

“The funeral of Pope Benedict was very important to me; and like a miracle, God allowed me to go to Rome to attend: The court approved, the police let me get back my passport; the airline just had a flight so that I could catch the funeral in time, therefore, I felt that I couldn’t give up this opportunity and decided to go,” he said.

“When I went to Rome, I felt that I represented the whole of Hong Kong and the whole of China, expressing our respect and love to Pope Benedict XVI.”

After his four-day trip to Rome, the cardinal spent 10 days resting in Hong Kong, but his health unexpectedly continued to deteriorate, worsening on the first day of Lunar New Year, Jan. 22.

Zen shared the update on his health in a blog post titled “Letter to Inmates.” The retired cardinal  has dedicated his time over the past 10 years to prison ministry in Hong Kong and has baptized several prisoners.

“Do not forget that we will never be separated in prayer,” he wrote to the inmates. “I will continue to pray for you, and please remember me in your prayers.”

This article was originally published by EWTN News English.

Receive the most important news from EWTN Vatican via WhatsApp. It has become increasingly difficult to see Catholic news on social media. Subscribe to our free channel today

Share

Would you like to receive the latest updates on the Pope and the Vatican

Receive articles and updates from our EWTN Newsletter.

More news related to this article

Could Pope Francis Become the First Pope to Visit Vietnam?

Pope Francis Expresses Eagerness for Historic Visit to Vietnam Amid Positive Vatican-Vietnam Relations

Church and Charity: Bridging the Gap and Serving the Peripheries

Join us for the latest edition of “Roman Nights” where Ambassador Antonio Zanardi Landi, Reverend David Hulshof, and

Pope Leo XIV urges theologians to defend creation and human dignity in the age of AI

Pope Leo XIV on Saturday urged Catholic theologians to embrace a “theology of wisdom” capable of addressing urgent global challenges, from environmental crises to the ethical questions posed by artificial intelligence (AI).

Pope Francis: People are looking for ‘an oasis in the Church’

People are looking for an oasis in the Catholic Church from which to slake the thirst left by

Violence Against Women is Blasphemy Against God | Pope Francis and Ambassadors Call for Action

In a panel discussion organized by the British Embassy to the Holy See and the World Union of

Custodian of Culture: Interview with Dr. Barbara Jatta, the First Woman Leading the Vatican Museums

In an interview with Colm Flynn, EWTN News Rome Correspondent, Dr. Barbara Jatta, the director of the Vatican

LIVE
FROM THE VATICAN

Be present live on EWTNVatican.com