Skip to content

Filipino Cardinal Urges Catholics To Report Clerical Abuse To Church And Civil Authorities

After a U.S abuse watchdog slammed the Philippines’ bishops for not taking action against clergy accused of sexual abuse, Cardinal Pablo Virgilio David urged Filipino Catholics to report priests accused of misconduct to both Church and civil authorities.

After a U.S abuse watchdog slammed the Philippines’ bishops for not taking action against clergy accused of sexual abuse, Cardinal Pablo Virgilio David urged Filipino Catholics to report priests accused of misconduct to both Church and civil authorities.

Days after BishopsAccountability.org on Jan. 29 launched its Philippines database, which lists 82 priests and brothers publicly accused of abusing minors, David insisted the country’s Catholics must report “erring priests.” 

“Please don’t hesitate to file complaints against abusive clerics whether in the civil or Church forums,” David insisted in a Jan. 31 statement. “[Pope Francis] has been insistent on putting up structures of check and balance and accountability to prevent past mistakes from happening again.”

David conceded the Church is “not always successful” in keeping accused clergy accountable and needs “the help and participation of our laypeople, including our professional journalists” to protect minors and vulnerable adults from abuse. 

The database also includes allegations about Filipino priests who served in the U.S. and priests from other countries — the United States, Ireland, and Australia — who served in the Philippines.

Regarding U.S. priests, David said the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) is “at a loss” on how to take appropriate action against suspended clergy attempting to engage in active ministry or who may be in hiding in the country.

“It’s important that the local bishops to whom they are incardinated in the States should inform us bishops in the Philippines about such cases,” the cardinal said. 

The Philippine Daily Inquirer on Jan. 31 reported two bishops from the Visayas region issued separate statements addressing accusations leveled against clergy belonging to their dioceses.

Archbishop Jose Palma said most of the men mentioned by BishopsAccountability.org linked to the Archdiocese of Cebu had been dismissed from service or were dead. He noted three clergy had been reintegrated into the archdiocese after the required legal and canonical processes, reported the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

Bishop Gerardo Alminaza said two priests called out by the U.S. abuse watchdog connected to the Diocese of San Carlos “are still under ecclesiastical review” by the diocesan safeguarding office.

“The diocese is steadfastly committed to cooperating with civil authorities and the Philippine courts to ensure a fair and just process,” Alminaza said in a statement last week.

Under Pope Francis, the Vatican has set up institutional processes and structures, including the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors, to accompany and assist local Churches’ safeguarding ministries.

Following Rome’s mandate, the CBCP established the Office on the Protection of Minors, headed by Archbishop Florentino Lavarias. Each Philippine diocese is required to have a diocesan safeguarding office supervised by the local bishop.

This article was originally published on Catholic News Agency.

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER HERE

Receive the most important news from EWTN Vatican via WhatsApp. It has become increasingly difficult to see Catholic news on social media. Subscribe to our free channel today

Share

Would you like to receive the latest updates on the Pope and the Vatican

Receive articles and updates from our EWTN Newsletter.

More news related to this article

Saint Bonaventure of Bagnoregio: The Seraphic Doctor’s Harmonization between Faith and Reason

Matthew Santucci sat down with the Bishop of Viterbo, Orazio Francesco Piazza, on the feast day of Saint

A sculpture of Jesus at Rome’s airport is taking travelers by surprise

The renowned Italian artist Gian Lorenzo Bernini’s famous sculpture "Salvator Mundi" (Savior of the World) is on display at Rome's airport.

A Moving Portrait of Pope Leo and Rome

Join us for Pope Leo and the Eternal City—a moving portrait of the first U.S.-born pope who, upon taking possession of St. John Lateran, told the faithful with conviction: “Sono Romano—I am Roman.”

Global Prayers for Pope Francis: Faithful Unite for His Recovery

Thousands gathered this week in St. Peter’s Square to join the cardinals resident in Rome in their Rosary for Pope Francis.

LIVE from the Vatican | General Audience with Pope Francis | May 10th, 2023

LIVE | Join us for the General Audience with Pope Francis from St. Peter’s Square.

Vatican Commission Investigates Over 550 21st Century Martyrdom Cases

The Vatican's "Commission on New Martyrs – Testimonies of Faith" announced on November 13 that it is investigating over 550 cases of individuals who have sacrificed their lives for Christ since 2000.

LIVE
FROM THE VATICAN

Be present live on EWTNVatican.com