Skip to content

Pope Francis: ‘I had nothing to do’ with Father Marko Rupnik case

For the first time, Pope Francis has commented publicly about the scandal surrounding Father Marko Rupnik, denying he intervened to help his fellow Jesuit avoid punishment for the alleged sexual abuse of women in a religious community in Slovenia.

Speaking to the Associated Press Jan. 24 in a headline-grabbing interview published Wednesday that covered a wide range of topics, the pope said his involvement in the case was strictly procedural: assigning the case to the same tribunal that had earlier reviewed the automatic excommunication Rupnik incurred by absolving in confession a woman with whom he had sex.

After Rupnik repented the excommunication was lifted later the same month. The tribunal wound up dropping the second case because the statute of limitations had expired.

Francis explained that he thought it best to have the second case “continue with the normal court, because, if not, procedural paths are divided and everything gets muddled up.”

He added: “So I had nothing to do with this.”

The first complaints against Rupnik, a well-known Jesuit artist, became public in early December after Italian websites published stories quoting unnamed women who came in contact with Rupnik in the Loyola Community in Slovenia with which he was connected, accusing him of sexual, spiritual, and psychological abuse.

Pope Francis, who was reportedly close to Rupnik, told the AP he was shocked by the allegations.

“For me, it was a surprise, really. This, a person, an artist of this level — for me was a big surprise, and a wound.”

While the abuse allegedly took place in the 1980s and early 1990s — beyond the Vatican’s statute of limitations for abuse cases involving adult victims — questions persist about why the statute wasn’t waived, as is routinely done in cases involving minors.

Francis told the AP he “always” waives the statute of limitations for cases involving minors and “vulnerable adults,” but said he is inclined to uphold traditional legal guarantees with cases involving others.

Using a Spanish term that implies a no-holds-barred approach, Francis told the AP his approach was: “No loose reins with minors, the reins are pulled pretty tight.”

Francis said he wanted more transparency in how cases are handled, but he suggested that is difficult to do in an institution that in the past has handled such cases privately.

“It’s what I want,” the pope said. “And with transparency comes a very nice thing, which is shame. Shame is a grace.”

Receive the most important news from EWTN Vatican via WhatsApp. It has become increasingly difficult to see Catholic news on social media. Subscribe to our free channel today

Share

Would you like to receive the latest updates on the Pope and the Vatican

Receive articles and updates from our EWTN Newsletter.

More news related to this article

Synod Cardinal Speaks on LGBTQ+ Catholics and Those Who Love the Traditional Latin Mass

Cardinal Joseph Tobin addresses questions on welcoming LGBTQ+ Catholics and Traditional Latin Mass enthusiasts during the Synod on Synodality

Pope Leo XIV appoints new director of the Vatican Observatory

Pope Leo XIV on Thursday appointed astronomer Father Richard Anthony D’Souza, SJ, as the new director of the Vatican Observatory.

Vatican announces theme for 2026 World Day of Peace

“Peace Be With You All: Towards an Unarmed and Disarming Peace” will be the theme for the 2026 World Day of Peace, the Vatican Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development announced Aug. 26.

Vatican to work with Italian authorities to prosecute source of leaks

The Vatican is cooperating with Italian prosecutors on an investigation into the leaking of financial information related to the Vatican’s major finance trial that ended last year.

Global Summit On Children’s Rights At The Vatican

World leaders met at the Vatican for the Children’s Rights Summit. Before it opened, Pope Francis embraced Roman, a Ukrainian child with burns, a moment symbolizing the event.

The Church Celebrates the 750th Anniversary of St. Thomas Aquinas: A Legacy of Faith and Reason

Marking the 750th anniversary of St. Thomas Aquinas's passing, the Catholic Church, led by Cardinal Pietro Parolin, celebrates the profound legacy of one of its greatest theologians.

LIVE
FROM THE VATICAN

Be present live on EWTNVatican.com