Skip to content

Vatican: Investigation of Canadian cardinal found no ‘misconduct or abuse’

The Vatican on Tuesday said it would take “no further canonical procedure” after an investigation into abuse allegations against a Canadian cardinal revealed no evidence of misconduct or abuse.

The Vatican on Tuesday said it would take “no further canonical procedure” after an investigation into abuse allegations against a Canadian cardinal revealed no evidence of misconduct or abuse.

Cardinal Gerald Lacroix, the archbishop of Quebec and member of the Council of Cardinals that advises Pope Francis, was accused as part of a class-action lawsuit against his archdiocese of abusing a 17-year-old girl almost four decades ago. The cardinal has denied the accusation. 

The Vatican in March commissioned André Denis, a former judge of the Superior Court of Quebec, to conduct an investigation into the allegations.

In a Tuesday statement, the Vatican said Denis’ investigation concluded on May 6 and had been “consigned to the Holy Father in the following days.”

“In the light of the facts examined by the judge, the report does not permit to identify any actions that amount to misconduct or abuse on the part of Cardinal Gérald C. Lacroix,” the statement said. “Consequently, no further canonical procedure is foreseen.”

Pope Francis has authorized Denis himself to issue a statement “summarizing the elements of his investigation,” the Holy See said. Denis is also permitted to “answer any questions that may arise on the matter.”

“The Holy Father extends his profound thanks to Judge André Denis for having completed, within the prescribed time, the mandate entrusted to him and which he carried out with impartiality in the context of the class-action lawsuit brought against the Archdiocese of Quebec,” the statement continued. 

In January LaCroix said he “categorically” denied the allegations made against him.

“Never, to my knowledge, have I made any inappropriate actions towards anyone, whether minors or adults,” he said. “My soul and my conscience are at peace in the face of these accusations, which I refute.”

When it was filed in 2022, the class-action lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Quebec included the testimony of 101 people who said they were sexually assaulted by dozens of clerics or Church staff from 1940 to the present. 

In that filing, Canadian Cardinal Marc Ouellet was also accused of sexual assault. The Vatican in 2022 said an investigation revealed “no elements to initiate a trial” against the prelate.

This article was originally published on Catholic News Agency.

Receive the most important news from EWTN Vatican via WhatsApp. It has become increasingly difficult to see Catholic news on social media. Subscribe to our free channel today

Share

Would you like to receive the latest updates on the Pope and the Vatican

Receive articles and updates from our EWTN Newsletter.

More news related to this article

Credit: EWTN Vatican screenshot. Pope Leo arriving in Angola, Vatican Media

Pope Leo in the footsteps of Modern Popes

To the ends of the earth: during the first year of Pope Leo XIV’s pontificate, we have seen

Vatican dissociates itself from the controversy over the 5 million euro altar for WYD

The Vatican clarified that it did not make any decision regarding the construction of a controversial altar valued

Encountering the Heart of Jesus: Reflections on Cardinal Kurt Koch’s Homily

The CNA Deutsch agency has reported on Cardinal Kurt Koch's homily, delivered on Friday at the Church of the Holy Rosary on Monte Mario in Rome, where the image of Mary Advocata is located

Pope Francis Asks Christians To Start Lent ‘full of hope’ in the footsteps of Jesus Christ

Pope Francis asked Christians on Ash Wednesday to set out in the footsteps of Jesus Christ, full of hope, throughout the season of Lent.

Pope Francis urges world not to forget countries in need of God’s ‘gift of peace’

As the world continues to pray for him throughout his prolonged hospitalization, the 88-year-old pontiff has asked people to remember to pray for God’s “gift of peace” for those suffering in war-torn countries.

Polish Faithful Commemorate Attempted Assassination of St. John Paul II

A delegation of Polish faithful is commemorating the 43rd anniversary of the attempted assassination of St. John Paul II at the Vatican.

LIVE
FROM THE VATICAN

Be present live on EWTNVatican.com