Skip to content

Catholic heads of Churches in Holy Land call for prayer and peace 

Council of Catholic Presidents in the Holy Land. | Credit: Photo courtesy of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem

Catholic Church leaders in the Holy Land reaffirmed the Christian community’s commitment to peace amid the harshness of war.

Amid the war engulfing the Middle East, the Assembly of Catholic Ordinaries of the Holy Land issued a spiritual and humanitarian message expressing the Churches’ deep concern over the situation in the region and reaffirming Christians’ commitment to peace despite the harshness of the circumstances.

In an official statement, the assembly announced that its members had been forced to suspend their plenary meeting, which was scheduled to take place in Nazareth, because of security measures. Instead, they met online to exchange updates on the situation in their Churches. 

The statement noted that communities in the Holy Land are all suffering, to varying degrees, from the consequences of the war unfolding in the region. 

Yet, according to the assembly, what stands out is that Christian faithful have not yielded to the temptation to respond with violence, even in the most difficult circumstances. It described this as a true sign of hope and a clear witness to Christian identity.

In the context of Lent, the members of the assembly called on the faithful to intensify their prayers and sacrifices, lifting their prayers to God to enlighten the hearts of the leaders of nations and guide them toward the path leading to true peace in the region. 

The members also bid farewell to Archbishop Adolfo Tito Yllana, who has concluded his service as apostolic nuncio in the Holy Land, emphasizing that his presence reflected the pope’s closeness and deep concern for this land and its people.

The statement also referred to the martyrdom of Lebanese Maronite priest Father Pierre al-Rahi, who was killed in an Israeli strike in southern Lebanon while carrying out his pastoral ministry. The members offered their condolences and prayers for the repose of his soul, saying that his sacrifice may become a seed of peace for the entire Middle East.

In the same context, Father Ibrahim Faltas of the Custody of the Holy Land, in an article published by Al-Quds newspaper, expressed his concern over the reality in the region, calling for an immediate halt to the war, which threatens the innocent and erases the meaning of respect for life.

He described Jerusalem these days as a silent city, nearly empty of pilgrims, speaking of shuttered shops and daily life weighed down by anxiety and hardship. He pointed out that the closure of holy sites to the faithful of the three monotheistic religions, including the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, reflects the depth of the crisis the region is experiencing. He said: “Because of the ban imposed on the Old City of Jerusalem, we were unable last Friday to pray the Way of the Cross.”

Faltas said this silence and emptiness enveloping the city raise to heaven a shared prayer from the hearts of believers everywhere, a prayer that asks for peace, not victory, and calls for the restoration of the dignity of life and an end to the spiral of violence in the Holy Land.

This story was first published by ACI MENA, the Arabic-language sister service of EWTN News. It has been translated and adapted by EWTN News English.

Receive the most important news from EWTN Vatican via WhatsApp. It has become increasingly difficult to see Catholic news on social media. Subscribe to our free channel today

Share

Would you like to receive the latest updates on the Pope and the Vatican

Receive articles and updates from our EWTN Newsletter.

More news related to this article

Pope Leo XIV warns against gambling, which ‘ruins many families’

Pope Leo XIV warned about the danger that gambling poses to many families during a Dec. 29 audience

Vatican lights up with drone show at historic ‘Grace for the World’ concert

St. Peter’s Square became the stage for an unprecedented spectacle on Saturday night, as tens of thousands gathered for Grace for the World, a massive concert closing the third World Meeting on Human Fraternity.

Vaticano Updates: the latest news from Pope Francis and the Vatican

Synod on Synodality official: Women priests ‘not an open question’ for the Church The highest-ranking woman in the
Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger aboard a flight with Pope John Paul II. Credit: EWTN Vatican

Preserving Pope Benedict XVI’s Legacy

Even after the death of Pope Benedict XVI, interest in his pontificate and theology remains strong. This enduring

Pope Francis’ Apostolic Constitution Praedicate Evangelium: Abolishing or Replacing the Office of the Apostolic Camera?

Pope Francis' Apostolic Constitution Praedicate Evangelium brings changes to the Curia, including the exclusion of the office of the Apostolic Camera

Pope Leo XIV: Church serves coming of God’s kingdom in history

The pontiff said the Church is a pilgrim people called to proclaim Christ’s salvation while rejecting all that

LIVE
FROM THE VATICAN

Be present live on EWTNVatican.com