Skip to content

Italian Prosecutors Investigate Illegal Sale Of Apparent Carlo Acutis Relics Online

Italian prosecutors are investigating the illegal online sale of alleged relics of Blessed Carlo Acutis, who will be declared the first millennial saint next month.

Italian prosecutors are investigating the illegal online sale of alleged relics of Blessed Carlo Acutis, who will be declared the first millennial saint next month. 

The investigation by the Perugia Public Prosecutor’s Office was prompted by a complaint by the bishop of Assisi, the city where Acutis’ tomb is located for public veneration.

“On the internet, there is a marketplace for relics concerning various saints, such as our St. Francis, complete with a price list. Something impossible to accept,” Bishop Domenico Sorrentino of Assisi-Nocera Umbra-Gualdo Tadino said in a statement on March 26.

Sorrentino filed a formal complaint with Italian authorities after learning of an internet auction of an alleged first-class relic of Acutis’ hair, which sold online for 2,000 euros by an anonymous user.

“We do not know whether the relics are real or fake,” the bishop said. “But if it were also all fabricated, if there was deception, we would be not only in the midst of a fraud but also of an insult to religious belief.”

According to canon law of the Catholic Church, the sale of first- and second-class relics is strictly forbidden. Relics can only be given away by their owners, and some very significant relics, such as a heart, arm, etc., cannot be given away without the permission of the Vatican. 

Acutis’ canonization Mass is scheduled to take place in St. Peter’s Square on April 27 during the Church’s Jubilee of Teenagers. 

This article was originally published on Catholic News Agency.

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER HERE

Receive the most important news from EWTN Vatican via WhatsApp. It has become increasingly difficult to see Catholic news on social media. Subscribe to our free channel today

Share

Would you like to receive the latest updates on the Pope and the Vatican

Receive articles and updates from our EWTN Newsletter.

More news related to this article

Pope Francis announces ecumenical prayer service, reflects on St. John the Baptist’s ‘spirit of service’

In his Angelus address on Sunday, Pope Francis encouraged Christians to cultivate the virtue of knowing “how to
Pope Leo XIV visits Ngul Zamba Orphanage in Yaoundé, Cameroon, on April 15, 2026. | Credit: George Wirnkar/ACI Africa

Pope Leo XIV to orphaned children in Cameroon: ‘God is present’

“Wherever there is misery, suffering, or injustice, God is present,” the pope said in a meeting with orphaned

LIVE | General Audience with Pope Francis | April 5th 2023

LIVE | Join us for the General Audience with Pope Francis from St. Peter’s Square.

Pope Leo XIV visits young Spaniard hospitalized during jubilee

Pope Leo XIV made a surprise visit to Ignacio Gonzálvez, a 15-year-old Spanish boy who had been urgently admitted to Bambino Gesù Hospital in Rome after collapsing during the Jubilee of Youth.

St. Cyril of Jerusalem: a beacon of courage in the face of misunderstanding and opposition

On March 18, the Catholic Church honors St. Cyril of Jerusalem, a fourth-century bishop and doctor of the Church whose writings are still regarded as masterful expressions of the Christian faith.

Italian Basilica of St. Benedict reopens 9 years after it was destroyed by earthquake

The Basilica of St. Benedict in Norcia, Italy, reopened for worship this weekend after a four-year project to

LIVE
FROM THE VATICAN

Be present live on EWTNVatican.com