Skip to content

A New App Inspired by St. Carlo Acutis

From the beginning of Lent in Rome to global diplomacy and digital evangelization, this week brought significant developments from the Vatican and the Holy Father. Here is a look at the latest news shaping the life of the Church — from Pope Leo XIV’s Ash Wednesday message to new initiatives at St. Peter’s Basilica and beyond.

Vaticano Updates

Pope Leo XIV Opens Lent with a Call to Global Repentance

Pope Leo XIV began the season of Lent with a sobering reflection on the state of the world, presiding over Ash Wednesday Mass at the Basilica of Santa Sabina in Rome.

In his homily, the Holy Father connected the ashes placed on the foreheads of the faithful with the wounds of modern society. He said “The ashes Catholics receive carry the weight of a world that is ablaze,” pointing to wars, environmental destruction, and the erosion of justice and international law as signs of humanity’s need for repentance.

The Pope urged Catholics to understand Lent not only as a personal spiritual exercise, but as a communal call to renewal. He invited the faithful to take responsibility for what he described as “structures of sin” shaping society today, and to rediscover freedom through conversion and solidarity.

The Freedom of the Bishop of Rome

In a separate address at the Vatican, Pope Leo XIV spoke about the mission of the papacy in turbulent times. Addressing members of the Pro Petri Sede Association, he emphasized that the Bishop of Rome must remain free to proclaim the truth without pressure or constraint.

The Holy Father said the successor of Peter must have complete freedom to denounce injustice, defend the rights of the weakest, promote peace, and proclaim the Gospel. While the historical methods of defending the papacy may have evolved, he stressed that the core mission remains unchanged: to witness to the truth without fear.

Vatican Declines U.S. “Board of Peace” Proposal

The Vatican has also confirmed it will not participate in U.S. President Donald Trump’s proposed “Board of Peace.”

Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican Secretary of State, explained that the Holy See believes global crises should be addressed primarily through the framework of the United Nations. While acknowledging the desire for peace, Cardinal Parolin expressed concerns about the structure and purpose of the proposed initiative. He reaffirmed the Holy See’s distinctive diplomatic role as a moral voice in international affairs rather than a political actor.

St. Peter’s Basilica Marks 400 Years

Preparations are underway for the 400th anniversary of the consecration of St. Peter’s Basilica, with Vatican officials announcing major new initiatives to mark the occasion.

For the first time, previously inaccessible areas — including the entire rooftop terrace — will be opened to visitors. A new digital “smart pass” system is also being introduced to better manage crowds, enhance security, and preserve the basilica’s atmosphere of prayer.

The anniversary celebrations will culminate on November 18, exactly four centuries after the basilica’s dedication, with a Mass presided over by Pope Leo XIV.

A New App Inspired by St. Carlo Acutis

In other news, a new mobile app inspired by St. Carlo Acutis has been launched to share Eucharistic miracles with a global audience.

Developed by the St. Carlo Acutis Shrine in the United States in collaboration with his family, the app features documented Eucharistic miracles from around the world, along with interactive elements such as online Eucharistic adoration and reflections on the young saint’s life.

Canonized in 2025, St. Carlo is widely known for using technology as a tool for evangelization — making this digital initiative a fitting continuation of his mission.

Receive the most important news from EWTN Vatican via WhatsApp. It has become increasingly difficult to see Catholic news on social media. Subscribe to our free channel today

Share

Would you like to receive the latest updates on the Pope and the Vatican

Receive articles and updates from our EWTN Newsletter.

More news related to this article

Pope Francis Remains In Critical Condition At Rome hospital, Receives Blood Transfusion

Pope Francis remains in critical condition and “is not out of danger,” the Holy See Press Office announced Saturday evening in Rome.

Pope Francis Health Update & Trip to Dubai

After days of canceled audiences, Pope Francis, in a unique manner, still joined the universal Church in praying

The Synod on Synodality this Week: Anticipating a ‘Letter to the People of God’

As the Synod on Synodality in Rome launches into its final week with a changed calendar, all eyes are on the anticipated Letter to the People of God, expected on Saturday evening.

Pope Leo XIV to Jubilee of Youth: ‘Your voices will be heard to the ends of the earth’

Pope Leo XIV made a surprise appearance in St. Peter’s Square on Tuesday evening to greet the thousands of participants at the welcoming Mass for the Jubilee of Youth.

Pope Leo XIV to give 500-euro ‘conclave bonus’ to 5,000 Vatican workers

Pope Leo XIV has reinstated the “conclave bonus” given to Vatican employees for their service during the sede vacante period.

Vatican Advises Against Publishing Names Of Accused Without ‘Legitimate’ Reason

The Vatican advises against publishing damaging accusations without valid reasons, especially if the accused is deceased and cannot defend their name.

LIVE
FROM THE VATICAN

Be present live on EWTNVatican.com