Skip to content

Threat against entire people of Iran ‘not acceptable,’ Pope Leo XIV says

Pope Leo XIV leaves the papal villa at Castel Gandolfo on April 7, 2026. | Credit: Valentina Di Donato/EWTN News

Attacks on civilian infrastructure violate international law and are also a sign of hatred, division, and destruction, Pope Leo XIV said. “Let’s come back to the table,” he said.

Pope Leo XIV renewed his forceful appeal for an end to war and urged an embrace of dialogue, distinguishing himself as a singular global voice calling for restraint and moral accountability amid bellicose statements from U.S. leadership.

The first U.S.-born pope called on U.S. citizens to plead with elected officials to work for peace in remarks to the press April 7 and called threats to destroy Iran’s civilization unacceptable. Earlier in the day, President Donald Trump promised on social media the annihilation of the “whole civilization” of Iran if the country fails to reopen the Strait of Hormuz.

The pope said “attacks on civilian infrastructure [are] against international law [and] also a sign of the hatred, the division, the destruction that the human being is capable of … We all want to work for peace. People want peace. I would invite citizens of all the countries involved to contact the authorities, political leaders, congressmen, to ask them, tell them to work for peace and to reject war.”

Reiterating the substance of his Easter Sunday urbi et orbi message, Leo said he was “asking people of good will to search always for peace and not violence, to reject war, especially a war which many people have said is an unjust war, which is continuing to escalate and is not resolving anything,” the pope said. “We have a worldwide economic crisis, energy crisis, situation in the Middle East of great instability, which is only provoking more hatred throughout the world.”

He also said, speaking in Italian: “Today, as we all know, there was also this threat against the entire people of Iran, and this truly is not acceptable. Let us begin with dialogue. We should resolve problems without reaching this point, yet here we are. We must pray a great deal.”

The pope spoke to the press outside the papal villa of Castel Gandolfo before returning to Rome after a daylong stay there. He made his appeal in Italian and English and did not take reporters’ questions.

“Let’s come back to the table, let’s talk, let’s look for solutions in a peaceful way, and let’s remember especially the innocent,” the pope said. “Children, the elderly, the sick, so many people have already become or will become victims of this continued warfare.”

Cloudinary Asset

Pope Leo XIV leaves the papal villa at Castel Gandolfo on April 7, 2026. | Credit: Valentina Di Donato/EWTN News

Pope Leo XIV has repeatedly rejected rhetoric invoking God to justify loss of life. “Brothers and sisters, this is our God: Jesus, King of Peace, who rejects war, whom no one can use to justify war,” Leo said on Palm Sunday.

On April 7, Archbishop Paul Coakley, president of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, underscored the pope’s repeated calls for peace and urged Trump to avoid war with Iran. 

Carrying hope

Pope Leo XIV in his Easter homily called for peace throughout the world, urging Christians to carry the hope of the Resurrection into a world wounded by war, violence, and injustice.

Leo used his first Easter urbi et orbi message April 5 to make a forceful appeal for an end to war and a renewed embrace of dialogue. He will lead a prayer vigil for peace on April 11 at St. Peter’s Basilica.

The pope has repeatedly condemned war, saying it is a moral failure rooted in abuse of power and domination rather than dialogue. He urged those “who have weapons to lay them down” and those with power “to choose peace — not peace imposed by force, but through dialogue.”

In the Easter message, the pope warned that the world is sliding into a “globalization of indifference” toward the suffering and deaths caused by war.

Valentina Di Donato contributed to this story.

This story was originally published by EWTN News English.

Receive the most important news from EWTN Vatican via WhatsApp. It has become increasingly difficult to see Catholic news on social media. Subscribe to our free channel today

Share

Would you like to receive the latest updates on the Pope and the Vatican

Receive articles and updates from our EWTN Newsletter.

More news related to this article

Screenshot of EWTN Vaticano of Pope Leo's first moments as Pope on May 8, 2025. Credit: EWTN Vatican

Pope Leo XIV: the Pope of Peace

From the very first moments of his pontificate, Pope Leo XIV made clear that peace would stand at

‘This Is Life-Changing’: Missionaries Of Mercy Gather In Rome For Jubilee Of Hope

Around 500 priests instituted as Missionaries of Mercy gathered in Rome March 28–30 to take part in events for a special jubilee dedicated to their role, part of the wider 2025 Jubilee of Hope.

Cardinals send ‘dubia’ to Pope Francis ahead of Synod on Synodality

Five cardinals have sent a set of questions to Pope Francis to express their concerns and seek clarification

Pope Leo XIV may visit Sri Lanka, Vatican diplomat says

A top Vatican diplomat has raised the possibility of a papal visit to Sri Lanka as the two

Pontifical universities in Rome host conference on legacy of St. John Paul II

The Vatican Dicastery for Culture and Education is sponsoring a four-day event in Rome to honor the spiritual and intellectual legacy of Pope Saint John Paul II while marking the 25th anniversary of his encyclical Fides et Ratio.

Pope Leo XIV explains the Church’s ‘human and divine dimensions’

The pope’s catechesis focused on the dogmatic constitution Lumen Gentium, one of the pillars of Vatican II. VATICAN

LIVE
FROM THE VATICAN

Be present live on EWTNVatican.com